9.24.2008

Spud Day

In the spirit of the Gem State, we went to Spud Day in Shelley. Spud Day is a set day of the year in certain communities where the potato is celebrated. It consists of potato sack races, lots of food, (including free baked potatoes), a tug-of-war with a pit of mashed potatoes in the middle, and a demolition derby. It is strangely awesome.



This is the third year I've been to Spud Day and the second for Barbara. It's kind of this sick tradition that we get a giant smoked turkey leg each time. Nothing brings people together like passing around a giant hunk of meat, I guess. The next three pictures are Spud Day in 2006, 2007, and 2008.






I won that beanie I'm pointing at in the demolition derby--which is way better than the hat Tyson won the first year we went. Take that, Tyson.

5 comments:

The Farmer's said...

Hey, remember me, we used to hang out. That Spud Day looked eventful. You're a true Idahoan. Well, really just wanted to say hi because it's like we never talk anymore. Peace.

PS-This is Eric.

Tyson, Brett & Dahlia said...

The beanie is cool... but if you combine the hat I won last year and the one I yanked from the sky this year that has flames on the sides... I don't know. Might be a toss up.

BIG POPPA said...

DUDDEEE!!!

i served there!

you need to call if your ever in Chubbuck/Pocatello area!

(208) 380 0748

you excited for the cold???

Tonya said...

Ok, I'm seriously sad I never knew about this when I went to school there!

It really looks strangely awesome!

Katie Evans said...

Hi guys, This is Tyler's cousins wife(Jonathon Evans wife), Katie Evans...did you follow all that? :)
We met at the family reunion in Bear Lake this July. Anyways...I stumbled across your blog and I thought I'd say Hello! I grew up in Idaho falls so I am very familiar with "Spud Days"! When I was little, I even decorated my bike one year and rode in the parade! Good times. I agree, It is strangely awesome!

Love your blog! :)